Tuesday 8 May 2012

Festival rules.


I feel that I have been to my fair share of festivals in my life and it's only fair that I share some of the knowledge that I've picked up along the way, rather than doing revision. So, here are a few things that I wish I had known from that very first campsite.

1. ALWAYS TAKE BOOTS, NOT TRAINERS. 
I learnt this the hard way. It was the first time I was going on a festival without my mum and naturally, I didn't listen to any of the advice she was giving me and I thought it would be a good idea if I wore my nikes. If only I could back in time and tell my naive self that what I was doing would end in complete disaster. That year wasn't particularly wet but even so, I kept losing my shoe in the mud and having to run to catch up with my friends. I got back home tired and dirty, with these piles of mud on my feet. I actually managed to save those shoes by putting them in a pillowcase in the washing machine, they were never the same though. Also, no matter how many pairs of socks you have on, your feet will not feel warm at 3am in a pair of vans.

2. SHORTS + THIGH HIGHS > JEANS
It's a rather bizarre statement really, but it's true. There is nothing worse than being in a pair of soaking wet jeans when you don't have a duvet and hot water-bottle waiting for you at home and lets be honest you're not going to have another pair of jeans waiting for you back at the campsite are you?

3. TAKE A MIRROR & LOADS OF MAKE-UP (NOT NECESSARILY NAIL VARNISH THOUGH)
This counts for camping and festivals really. The amount of time that I've spent sitting in a tent looking in the tiny screen of my mobile trying to put eyeliner is insane, it never works and you end up looking really stupid. As for make-up, your usual routine isn't enough. The fun of going to festivals is dressing-up and being able to look like a mentalist without even having to think what everyone else says (not that you should care normally). Trust me, it is such a laugh putting on 6 different shades of eyeshadow, it's pretty much fancy dress for 'grown-ups'.

4. TAKE A TOILETRIES
If you think that you can go 4 days with out a wash, you are so wrong. At least take one of those all body wet-wipes/a toothbrush. You really don't want to be one of the smelly ones. Also - if you're pretty obsessed with greasy hair like me - there is always a sink somewhere that you can wash your hair in.

5. BRING YOUR OWN ENTERTAINMENT 
Whatever is going on at the festival you are gonna have times when you just want to jam at the campsite. Take your iPod and speakers and something else to take up your time, because you will be without internet and however much you try to deny it - we are all dependent on facebook/twitter.

I hope these have helped and I can't wait for the rain to leave England alone so I go out and do my thing festival-style. If you don't live here, you wouldn't understand how much of a piss it takes. B.x

P.S THE MOST IMPORTANT RULE IS FUN! 

No comments:

Post a Comment