Saturday 2 March 2013

LOLA, 17.







A cute girl with a passion for metal tshirts seems to be the only way to describe Lola, she has an effortless look that never ceases to be stylish, fun and personifies not caring about what people may say. I suppose one of the best things about Lola has to be the simple clarity she has of the world, which I think comes out in the following discourse. Lola was a pleasure to interview and I hope she is just as lovely to read.. 

How would you describe your style?
Um well, I like to blend stuff. Like, I like Japanese street fashion and then I just wear band tshirts because I wanna show off my music taste. And then I just take my dads clothes because he has all these stussy tshirts and stuff
Your dad is stylish! 
Mhmm, he gave them all to me, so it's pretty great. 
Have you always dressed like this, or is this a new look for you? 
Well, I was really emo until like year 9 and then in year 10 I went, not indie but I wore lots if flowers and stuff like that and then it turned into this around year 11, just mixing stuff together. 
That's cool! So would you say that your style is quite individual?
I don't think so, I think I wear what everyone else wears.
Really? I think you dress quite originally! 
Thank you! It's kind of that I don't want to wear just street stuff or just band stuff and I don't want to look too much like a greasy metal-head so I wear pink cardigans and stuff.
How do you pick your band tshirts? Are they like your favourite bands or does it have to be a cool design? 
It has to be cool!! I love some bands but I know they're shit so I don't buy their tshirts, like I love You Me At Six but I'm not going to buy their tshirts because I know people would judge me as some scene kid.
Do you think that kind of thing happens to a lot of people? 
Yeah probably. People are always like "I don't care what you think" but wont say what they listen to. I don't think people would show their guilty pleasures and wear a tshirt with that on it.
Yeah, I can't find an east 17 tshirt anywhere so i'm kind of fucked...Have you noticed any particular trends that you've been interested in recently? 
No, not really. I've noticed that most people in Cotham wear highwaisted jeans and I was like "ooh those look nice!" so I bought some and now I wear them all the time. But that's about it. 
Have you got any fashion inspiration?
Like people? I kind of do but I don't copy them. I love what Alice Glass from crystal castles wears and Yolandi Visser from Die Antwoord. I love what she wears, I mean I obviously wouldn't wear that in the street but I still love it. 
What do you think of this whole 90's revival thing that's knocking about? 
I can never tell what stuff is from what decade, like I have no idea what is from 90's or 80's.
What advice would you give to someone starting college who's worried about their image?
Probably just that you don't have to wear loads of different clothes, you can just mix things together. Also, if you think colours don't really go it doesn't really matter, because I think that pretty much all colours go together, I don't really have any colour coordination. But yeah, don't  go out and buy loads of clothes just buy a few things that you really like that you can wear all the time because no one really cares. 

Thank you Lola for letting me interview you and Thank you ShOp for letting us use the artspace as a make shift photography studio!! B.x 

No comments:

Post a Comment